You can be a hero for wildlife by visiting the Zoo or Safari Park, or by joining the San Diego Zoo Global Wildlife Conservancy, which supports our tiger project in Way Kambas National Park in Sumatra, Indonesia.
Students from San Pasqual Union Elementary School in Escondido were among those who lent a hand to help San Diego Zoo Global raise awareness of the plight of rhinos in the wild and the urgent need to protect these iconic endangered species for future generations.
Saturday, March 14 marked the start of the San Diego Zoo Safari Park’s annual Butterfly Jungle event. Before it opened to the public, a handful of lucky photophiles got to preview the Hidden Jungle during our Instameet Photo-Walk & Challenge. Guests of the event had one hour to creatively capture as many photos and videos as possible, then upload their experience to Instagram. Three winners were selected by Safari Park staff based on the following categories.
Best overall photo by @duhrock
Best overall video by @petercsanadi
Best photo/caption combo by @mckenzie_bell. “Why couldn’t the butterfly go to the dance? Because it was a mothBALL #SorryCinderButterfly”
Don’t forget to upload your Butterfly Jungle memories on Instagram for a chance to win a Cheetah Safari for two. Simply tag your photos with #ButterflyJungle to enter. Submissions close Sunday, April 12. VIEW THE GALLERY
Jenn Beening is the social media planner for San Diego Zoo Global. Read her previous post, 19 Fascinating Butterfly Facts.
*PARK ADMISSION REQUIRED FOR NONMEMBERS*
UPDATE 12/26/13: ALL TWEET-UP SPOTS ARE FULL. STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT TWEET-UP!
The Safari Park’s Lorikeet Landing experience now has twice as many birds, resulting in twice as much fun! To celebrate, we’re giving our loyal Twitter followers exclusive access to the exhibit on Saturday, January 4, at 9:30 a.m. before the experience opens. Because of limited capacity, only 20 people will be allowed to join.
Want in on this awesome VIP experience? All you have to do is tweet these exact words starting Friday, December 20, 2013:
Hey @sdzsafaripark I want to go to the #lorikeetlanding tweet-up on January 4th!
The first users to tweet the exact words above (one tweet per user) will win spots for the tweet-up. *By tweeting the above, you confirm that you agree to the terms and conditions below.* Please only enter if you are available to attend the event on the morning of Saturday, January 4, 2014, at 9:30 a.m. The winners will receive a tweet or direct message from @sdzsafaipark with more information on how to claim the prize. Space is limited for this event, so get moving!
Guests are also encouraged to participate in our Lorikeet Landing Instagram Contest, which ends the day after the tweet-up. Simply tag your Instagram photos and videos with #LorikeetLanding for a chance to win a private Balloon Safari for ten.
Terms and Conditions
*PARK ADMISSION REQUIRED FOR NON-MEMBERS*
1. NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules. The San Diego Zoo Safari Park Lorikeet Landing Tweet-up Contest (“Contest”) will be held online from 12:00 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”), December 20, 2013 (“Sweepstakes Start Date”), to 9:00 a.m. PT, January 4, 2014 (“Contest Period”). Contest is sponsored by the Zoological Society of San Diego DBA San Diego Zoo Global (the “Sponsor”) who is solely responsible for all aspects of this Contest.
2. ELIGIBILITY. The Contest is open to legal residents of the United States of America who are 18 years of age or older as of “Contest Start Date.” Sponsor’s employees and their immediate families are not eligible to participate or claim a prize. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. All federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations apply. By participating, entrants agree to abide by all terms of these Official Rules and to the decisions of the judge, and waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Contest or these Official Rules.
3. HOW TO ENTER. 1.) As of 12:00 a.m. PT, December 20, 2013, the entrant must:
a. Have a Twitter® account: If you are not a member, you may sign-up here: http://twitter.com
b. Tweet the specified text: Hey @sdzsafaripark I want to go to the #lorikeetlanding tweet-up on January 4th!
No mechanically reproduced entries will be accepted.
4. INTERNET LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. If for any reason this Contest is not capable of running as planned due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest in whole or in part, at any time, without notice and award the prizes using all non-suspect eligible entries received as of this termination date. The Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. The Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or telephone lines, computer on-line systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by the Sponsor on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in this Contest or downloading any materials in this Contest. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON (S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of a winner based on a Twitter account, the winning entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the Twitter account submitted at time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to a Twitter account by Twitter Inc.
5. SELECTIONS AND NOTIFICATION OF WINNERS. Winners will be determined by chronological order of entries (first come first serve); the first users to enter earn priority spots. Winners will be notified by Twitter direct message or tweet and need not be present to win. Only one winner per household. Winners will be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability/Publicity Release and completed IRS W-9 form within 30 days of issuance. Winners are solely responsible for all travel costs that might be required to visit the San Diego Zoo. The winner will be disqualified and an alternate winner will be selected if a selected winner fails to comply with these rules, cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim a prize, or fails to return the completed and executed Affidavit and Releases in the stated time period as required, or if the prize notification or prize is returned as undeliverable. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission to use the winners’ names, likenesses, and statements for promotional and publicity purposes without additional compensation or limitation unless prohibited by law. All decisions of the Sponsor regarding the selection of winners, notification and substitution of winners in accordance with these Official Rules shall be binding and final.
6. PRIZES AVAILABLE. Winners will receive a TBD amount of spots for the Lorikeet Landing tweet-up on January 4, 2014. The prize is not transferable, assignable, or redeemable for cash and if not used will be forfeited.
7. INDEMNIFICATION AND RELEASE. By entering the Contest and participating in any promotions relating thereto, each entrant agrees to release and hold Sponsor, its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, parent companies, officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents, participating retailers, and any other companies participating in the design, administration, or fulfillment of this sweepstakes and their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents, harmless from any and all losses, rights, claims, injuries, damages, expenses, costs, or actions of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in this sweepstakes or any sweepstakes-related activity, or acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prize or parts thereof, including without limitation personal injuries, death, and property damage and claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy.
8. TAX INFORMATION. All applicable Federal, state and local tax liabilities and any other incidental expenses, fees or costs associated with the receipt or use of any prize are the sole responsibility of the winner.
9. WINNERS LIST. For an Official Winners List (available after January 4, 2014, and through December 31, 2014) or a copy of these Official Rules (PLEASE SPECIFY WHICH), send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: San Diego Zoo Global, P.O. Box 120551, San Diego, CA 92112-0551.
10. SPONSOR. San Diego Zoo Global: P.O. Box 120551 San Diego, CA 92112-0551
Matt Steele is the social media planner for San Diego Zoo Global.
Have a knack for phone-ography? Show us what you got and take the Nighttime Zoo Instagram Challenge. All you have to do is document your Nighttime Zoo experience on Instagram and tag your photos with #NighttimeZoo to automatically enter to win a safari adventure for four at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. Get posting!
Matt Steele is the social media planner for San Diego Zoo Global.
UPDATE: All spots for our Festival of Flight tweet-up have been filled! Follow us on twitter to be part of the next tweet-up.
If you follow us on Twitter, you know we like to hook up our followers with free stuff, but by far the best perk is our tweet-ups. Tweet-ups are special on-grounds meet-ups just for our social media followers, and they usually involve up-close animal interactions and presentations not available to other guests. For our Reptilemania tweet-up, guests got to touch one of our slithery animal ambassadors, feed our Galápagos tortoises, and take home a free snake plush. For our Koalapalooza tweet-up we tracked “koalas” (the plush kind) using the same equipment that our researchers use in the field, and got up close with a kookaburra and, of course, a koala.
We’ve also had tweet-ups at the Safari Park. During Butterfly Jungle, our tweet-up guests were granted access to the event through a closed-off side entrance, avoiding the line and enjoying a private presentation of a few creepy crawlies by the Park’s insect keeper. The Park’s Cheetah Run tweet-up was even sweeter. It offered guests the full VIP treatment, allowing them to watch the run from our special VIP viewing zone and meet a cheetah up close, which is something we normally charge $40 extra for!
We also hold raffles and give away free stuff at most of our tweet-ups, with prizes ranging from animal plushes to tickets for super-awesome behind-the-scenes experiences. For example, at our most recent #AnimalStars tweet-up, we raffled off five panda adoption packages and one grand prize of four Backstage Pass tickets. Check out this stellar blog and video for more on our last tweet-up.
The best part about our tweet-ups is that they’re FREE with admission. If you’re a member, consider them a perk of your membership. As you may know, Festival of Flight is coming November 10 through 13, 2011. We had a tweet-up for last year’s event involving a guided tour of the Scripps’ and Owens’ aviaries by one of our bird keepers and up-close bird viewing, but we wanted to offer something even better this year. That’s why on Saturday, November 12, at 10 a.m., we’re letting you loose (with supervision of course) in our Backstage Pass flamingo zone for some up-close flamingo fun! You’ll also enjoy presentations of a few other feathered friends by our expert Backstage Pass trainers…but there’s a catch. Because of the limited space in our flamingo zone, we can only invite 23 guests to join us for this tweet-up. So how do you get an invite? Listen close. Make sure you’re able and willing to attend on Saturday, November 12, at 10 a.m. (Zoo admission required). Then follow us on twitter and tweet these exact words:
I want to go to the @sandiegozoo #FestOfFlight tweet-up for some #FlamingoFun!
The first 23 people who tweet the above will get a direct message from us with an invite to the tweet-up. If you want to bring a guest or your kids, let us know and we’ll try to make accommodations depending on space available, but no promises. We apologize for the limited space, but we’re super excited to introduce you to our beautiful winged friends. Now hurry and get tweeting!
Matt Steele is the social media planner for San Diego Zoo Global. Read his previous post, Facebook Winner joins us in the Field.
Nighttime Zoo: China Celebration is all about celebrating the colorful culture and animals of China, and we wanted to have a photo contest as part of the festivities. It just so happens that one of the Chinese animals we’re celebrating, the giant panda, is also one of the most photogenic animals at the San Diego Zoo. So it seemed like a no-brainer to have a panda photo contest!
So what do you get if you win? You and three friends get the VIP treatment with our Backstage Pass! We’ll also use one second-place winner’s photo as our facebook profile pic. Photos must be taken at the Zoo and they must be of our pandas. See the rest of the terms and conditions, and upload your best panda photos, here. We’re looking forward to seeing all your beautiful bear photography. Good luck!
Matt Steele is the social media planner for San Diego Zoo Global. Read his previous post, Butterfly Jungle Preview Dinner.
Note: Anyone can play our Jungle Bells scavenger hunt, but we recommend playing with the SCVNGR mobile phone app!
I love my job, and I especially love it when I get to work with great organizations like the San Diego Zoo and fun events like Jungle Bells, taking place December 11 to January 2. I work as the “institutional mastermind” (ie: museums specialist) for a very cool mobile gaming company called SCVNGR.
SCVNGR isn’t a game like a casino or a board game or video game; SCVNGR is a game that you have to BE at a location in order to play. For instance, if you wanted to play the Jungle Bells Trek at the San Diego Zoo, would you play from a console or a computer? No way! You want to be at the San Diego Zoo! So how do you play a high-tech game while exploring the Zoo? From your cell phone, of course!
The Jungle Bells trek asks you to find five bells placed throughout the Zoo. Complete the picture challenges on the bells and post them on the Zoo’s Facebook or twitter to be entered to win a Backstage Pass for four people. Where are these bells? You can find them the old-fashioned way, or you can open up your phone to make it easier and more fun!
You can play the Jungle Bells adventure either via app or via text. To get started with your iPhone or Android, just download the free SCVNGR app and go to TREKS to find the Jungle Bells trek. Read the clues to get started, answer challenges, post pictures, and earn points. You can also earn the special Jungle Bells badge and leave hints and messages for other people playing. No worries if you don’t have a smartphone: you can play the Jungle Bells trek via text. Just text the message JUNGLEBELLS to 728647 to receive your first hint and start playing.
So enjoy a very happy holiday season, and have fun playing the Jungle Bells Trek on SCVNGR at the beautiful San Diego Zoo!
Note: Check out everything else we have going on in social media for Jungle Bells, like our photo contest and check-in specials, on the Jungle Bells community page.